Monday 14 January 2008

Further Research and Inital Sketches 14/01/08

I decided to do some further research on Scenario 1 and 5, just collecting some pictures that would help us develop some inital character ideas and designs. I took a couple of books out from the LRC, Gorillas in the mist and The world of insects.









The Insect book helped in showing the immense detail that is in these creatures, the colouring the patterns, all the different shapes and sizes. I believe we could have alot of fun with designing a creepy crawly character that would interact with the 9yr old boy, and there are alot to choose from.












These pictures I got from the Gorillas in the mist book. Three pictures in particular caught my eye, the last to pictures shown above clearly have a huge contrast. Its like the personality of the gorilla is instantly told by the one shot. The first picture is of a playful gorilla swinging at the top of a tree, you can tell is innocent care free and probably quite friendly. The second picture is very different. The gorilla seems very serious, like he is not one to mess with! He looks like he could loose his temper very quickly and takes a leading role in whatever he does. The last picture is a little bit like the first except this gorilla looks quite shy but curious.




When I thought of Gorillas one of the first films that popped into my head was Disney's Tarzan. This is a great example of animated gorillas. I watched the film and it gave me a great incite to how you can portray human emotions and the characteristics of a gorilla and combine them together.

I found this picture on the Internet, I thought if we did end up creating a gorilla this diagram of the bones would help with the joints that we would need to use.



Sorry about the quality of this scan its quite bad! Here are some quick sketches that I started to do concerning scenario 1, I was looking at Willie Billiams in particular. I took what me and Jeff had said about what our initial thoughts on the character would be like and elaborated.


I started to think about not nessacerly making the character English; one of my initial designs I drew it with the intent of a sterotypical hillbilly with a slow southeren accent who was on holiday with his family. However I think it would be a more succesful piece if the character was English, and I like what Jeff had said about maybe the character having a lisp!










No comments: